Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Autumn's Piping Song-Birds


“Clouds of insects danced and buzzed in the golden autumn light, and the air was full of the piping of the song-birds. Long, glinting dragonflies shot across the path, or hung tremulous with gauzy wings and gleaming bodies”. by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

OK, so I have been missing in action for a couple of days. Autumn is my favorite time of year, and the weather has been unbelievable and I just had to play hooky. I experienced the clouds of insects dancing in the golden light of autumn. There were so many of them, they did look like a cloud!

Yesterday, I took a walk at dawn and got to revel in the sounds of the morning dusk, the final crickets chirping off and the tree frogs croaking down, and the glorious sound of the birds waking up and filling the air with their piping and melodious songs. I literally stopped in my tracks and took it all in, and was suddenly overwhelmed with nature and the beauty of the sunrise and sights and sounds of the day coming alive.
I am grateful for the time I gave myself!! Have you taken a moment for you lately?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Judy, Great reminder to get out and walk while we may. These fall walks are a true delight. My dog, Maggie the cocker spaniel like o go up to the reservoir and watch the ducks and a pair of swans.

They don't mind the cool breese, and loss of the warm sun like I do. Dawn comes later now and the sun sets too early for me.

I will still find time to walk and observe the falling leaves, sounds of birds, and wonder at the flowers still showing their best colors.